Monday 15 October 2007

Gary Brown - 'King of the Gloaming' for September 2007

I am very pleased to announce the most blogged member of Scotland in the Gloaming for the month of September 2007 is…

Gary Brown
- September's 'King of the Gloaming'.

Well done Gary! Thank you very much for your contribution to the outstanding standard of imagery that makes up the group pool.



I asked Gary to share a little of the background on his photography.

1. Below is his personal favourite gloaming photo which was featured on the blog in September.

Sunset

2. Tell us a little about how you shot the photograph, the location, what particular aspects attracted you, anything special you did to get the shot and any comments about the Scotland In The Gloaming group.

Thank you very much !! I'm well pleased that Gloaming members enjoy my photos enough to blog them !!

This photo is one of my personal favourites from the group. Taken on Barassie beach earlier in the year. Both the colour and the mood were an important part of the image, but it is the waves loosely mimicking the sand ripples and the sand ripples extending into the water that were the key element. Giving the foreground something to tease the viewers eye.

Since buying my first digital camera in January of this year, the learning curve has been considerable.

The exposure method is a big change for me, trying to ensure that there are no blown highlights is the one thing i try to capture. This gives me greater latitude in the post processing of the image.
The problem for me in this method is that you cannot always expose for all the elements in the image
Hopefully when I get a set of ND Grads I can get this sorted out!

The other key element for me is composition. If I can compose very well with a less than ideal exposure, then i'm happy that i have a workable image and process it to achieve the visualised image.

The Gloaming group is probably my most viewed group on Flickr, for one simple reason; it is a collection of quality photos of a very beautiful country. I love the stunning light that we enjoy in Scotland, to stand on a beach in the Hebrides or on a mountain top bathed in gloaming light is a truly unforgettable experience!

Thank you.

Excellent comments Gary, your method certainly gets the most out of a shot and this one is a good example of the richness you achieve with your photographs. I think we'd all agree that we're privileged through the group to enjoy very beautiful photos of a very beautiful country. Thank you for your contribution to it.

Colin Campbell

No comments: