Friday 2 November 2007

Eric Wyllie - 'King of the Gloaming' for October 2007

I am very pleased to announce the most blogged member of Scotland in the Gloaming for the month of October 2007 is…

Eric Wyllie
- October's 'King of the Gloaming'.

Well done Eric - a second time King of the Gloaming I believe. Thank you very much for your contribution to the outstanding standard of imagery that makes up the group pool.



I asked Eric to share a little of the background on his photography.

1. Below is his personal favourite gloaming photo which was featured on the blog in October.

Mistycal Morning

2. Tell us a little about how you shot the photograph, the location, what particular aspects attracted you, anything special you did to get the shot and any comments about the Scotland In The Gloaming group.

Most of my entries into the blog this month came from a single morning.

I was driving my school bus to it's first pick-up point. I had checked the weather report and was hopeful of getting some mist as the sun rose but, although I was up very early, some crying baby issues kept me at home much later than I had intended. As I drove, I tried to keep from being irritated that I was missing the sun rise, when I knew that this was the morning I had been waiting for, for a year (when I first got my camera). I had just resolved that irritation as I approached Kilmacolm.

As the bus entered Kilmacolm I realised that it might not be too late, because the hill behind the Knapps would delay the sun's rising a bit over the loch. I checked my watch. I would only have about 10 minutes shooting time.

In that 10 minutes or so I got about 25 of the best shots I have ever taken. I could have been there for 2 hours before and 2 hours after but, I would not have got any more or any better shots. those few minutes were THE magic moments I have dreamt of.

I chose this shot, not because it was the best, but because it was what I saw when the bus rounded the bend at the very start of those 10 minutes.

*I can still feel how my heart leapt when I saw it.*

It's a shame that the highlights are blown a bit but, the feeling I get when I see it (especially in the smaller sizes) makes up for the technique faults.

So, truth be told... It was the morning, the light, the moment that made the shot. The photographer had nothing to do with it, except be there with the camera in hand.

An amazing morning indeed Eric, which we have all enjoyed thanks to your well executed photographs. You have really honed your gloaming skills since the group began and have a nack for getting the most colour out of a shot as this one demonstrates. Keep 'em coming.

Colin Campbell

No comments: